Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Ordinary to Extraordinary Heroes

First, let me start off by giving a shout out to Sean. Sorry I am a week late from when I said I was going to blog. Anyway, I am writing, or should I say typing, this because I want to encourage everyone to go and see on of the best plays I have EVER, EVER seen in my 30 yrs on this earth...Ordinary Heroes. The play is running it's last weekend this weekend. Show times are Thurs., Fri, Sat. nights at 07:30 PM and Sunday at 06:00 PM. The place is Fisk's Chapel on Fisk's campus. The price is $5 for Fisk and David Lipscomb student/faculty ID holders, $12 for any other student ID, and $15 for general admission. The play is worth $50....that's how good it is.

The play is about local Nashvillians who took a stand against racial segregation in the early 1960's. For those of you who don't know, Nashville was the FIRST Southern city to desegregate lunch counters and other public places. Nashville has a rich history in the modern Civil Rights Movement. The play gives different perspectives of young and old people, and Black and White people. The play is awesome and I encourage you to go and see it. I am going again this coming Saturday (2/24/07). If you would like to join me, just email me.

After seeing this play a couple of weeks ago, I got to thinking. All the ordinary people in the play became extraordinary heroes. They were just regular folks like you and me. They were fearless, yet fearful. They were courageous, yet scared at the same time. This play encouraged me to be more of a doer than I already am. It is not enough to just talk about something. We as young citizens of this country need to make our voices heard. We need to educate people about paying attention to our government and what things are or are not being done. Find something you are passionate about and learn as much as you can on that subject so you can educate others. Hold our ELECTED congress people accountable, especially those who you didn't vote for but, somehow, some way, they got elected (shout out to porker, I mean Corker). :)

Anyway, please go and see the play. It is well worth the time and money. Until next time, let's start a revolution!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home