Thursday, January 04, 2007

Sean McGuire for Council District 25

Sean Patrick McGuire has announced he is a candidate for the Metro Council in District 25. “I want to work hard to improve our community in the Green Hills area and bring my common sense business approach to Metro government,” said McGuire, a Nashville area native.

McGuire is currently involved in Nashville’s banking business and other entrepreneurial pursuits. He earned a B.A. in Political Science from Wake Forest University and is currently looking to start work on his Masters in Business Administration. After earning his undergraduate degree, McGuire worked as a special assistant for Congressman Jim Cooper, both in Washington, D.C. and in Nashville. “Working for Congressman Cooper only strengthened my desire to be involved in public service. I hope to follow his example of steady, common sense leadership in approaching the issues facing our city” McGuire said. McGuire has also worked for Regions Bank in Green Hills.

McGuire currently is a volunteer teacher with Junior Achievement and has taught first and second graders in local Metro Public Schools. A former volunteer firefighter who is currently active with the Nashville Area Habitat for Humanity, McGuire says that serving others is a mission he feels gets lost in today’s politics. “Sometimes in politics candidates are focused on something other than the folks they hope to serve. My focus will be on serving my neighbors in the Green Hills community as well as continuing to serve Nashville in general. Green Hills is a great community, and I know it can be even greater. I want to serve all the interests of this neighborhood in order to achieve that greatness.”

Currently serving as the Secretary and Treasurer for The Green Hills Action Partners (TGHAP), McGuire wants to focus on quality-of-life issues on the Metro Council. “Working closely with TGHAP has helped open my eyes to the issues and concerns facing Green Hills’ neighborhoods.” His goals for the neighborhood include improving and increasing sidewalks and green spaces, traffic improvements along Hillsboro Road, and making sure that any future developments are incorporated into the character and uniqueness of Green Hills. Citywide issues that McGuire wants to focus on are better fiscal responsibility within Metro government and improved social services for Nashville residents. Furthermore, McGuire hopes to work to increase revenue for Metro Public Schools by attracting and keeping businesses in Metro Nashville.

Says McGuire: “I think I live in the best neighborhood in the city, and I still want to live in the best neighborhood in the city twenty years from now. That’s my focus and that’s what I’d work towards in the Metro Council”.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home